Monday, February 3, 2014

STACKS AND STACKS

I roughed out 16 ideas on a larger piece of paper. I pulled these from my hordes of thumbnails that I drew in my sketchbook. I have many ideas that I like so now it really comes down to editing. Editing is the hard part because I like a lot of the ideas. It's just a question of what will work the best for the client? I refer back to notes that I took in our initial meeting and sort the stack of rough sketches into piles of my favorites. I have shown them to my wife who is always a good sounding board. As my personal muse, she has a duty to not only inspire me but stop me from doing work that will make me look like a hack. She is honest and has a great eye.

My next step is to pick the 3 or 4 I think will work the best and then redraw them in detail to make them into sketches that a I call "presentation quality." Under a tighter deadline, this whole process is accelerated and may take a few hours to go from thumbnails to presentation sketch. I can't wait to see what I'm gonna end up doing final art on.