Thursday, February 6, 2014

TRACING IS NOT CHEATING.

When all of my rough drawings are sorted and I have selected the ones that I feel are the best, now is time to redraw them. These new drawings will become the "presentation sketches" that I show to Food Gatherers. For this part I lay tracing paper over the drawings and redraw everything. This could take multiple sheets of tracing paper to get a good drawing. This way, you work on redoing just the parts that need it on a new sheet and leave the drawing you like on the sheet below it. I work on the expressions and details the most. I have 5 drawings to do of which I will probably present the best 3.

This is a technique I learned while at Hallmark Cards in the early 90's. It was one of those things that make being an illustrator so much fun. Drawing is the key to everything as an illustrator. You can't be too good at it and any tricks that make it easier are fine by me.